- Tackle - This stat can be achieved when the defensive back tackles the ball carrier to the ground
- Force Fumble - The stat can be achieve when a defensive back strips the ball from the ball carrier before the ball carrier is considered down.
- Fumble Recovery - This stat is achieved when the defensive back recovers a fumble committed by the other team.
- Interception - This stat is achieved when the defensive back catches a pass from the other team's quarterback.
- Pass deflection - This can be achieved when a defensive back knocks down the pass that is thrown by the quarterback.
Sunday, November 27, 2016
In this article we will look at the defensive back position in football. To start will discuss how many defensive backs there and where they actually line up on the defensive side of the ball behind the linebackers in football. In a standard 4-3 defense there are 4 defensive backs on the field at a time. From left to right they line up as follow. Left corner back, free safety, strong safety, and right corner back. There can also be a fifth defensive back that can come in. They will usually replace a linebacker. This position is called a nickel corner back.
Defensive Back Responsibilities
1The defensive back position responsibilities will vary depending on the position. Starting with the corner back they are covering the wide receivers. They will be normally in a press coverage and they will stay with the receivers through the entire play in hopes of deflecting or intercepting the ball thrown by the quarterback. Next we will look at the safety position. Their primary responsibility is provide support for the corner backs. A free safety will normally either anticipate a short pass or play deep and provide help for the corners for a long deep pass. Not only will the strong safety do the same task they can also help in run support.
Key Statistics for defensive back
Like in previous blogs will discuss the key statistics for the defensive back.
In conclusion after reading this article, I hope the reader will have a greater understanding of what a defensive back is and their responsibilities.