Sunday, November 6, 2016

Gym Myth-Buster "I'm Too Old, Too Fat, and Too Out of Shape"




“I’m too old.” I’m too fat.” “I’m too out of shape.” These are things that I hear on a weekly if not daily basis from people around town when I recommend they join the gym. Granted, there are folks that really need medical help instead of joining a gym, but most people simply use the quotes I’ve listed above as excuses. This mindset is catastrophic to not only one's fitness goals but many other goals in life. My response to a statement like that is often a quote from Henry Ford. “There are two kinds of people: Those who think they can, and those who think they can’t, and they’re both right.” I have seen a 70 year old out lift and out work a 20 year old. I’ve seen a severely overweight person lose over a hundred pounds, I’ve witnessed battles with eating disorders and watched those people gain control of their life and achieve things they never thought was possible. All it takes is a mindset to spark the flame of success. Here are a few people that think the same way.


Harriett Thompson is a 92 year old marathon runner. In 2015 she ran the Rock and Roll Marathon in San Diego. She finished the 26 mile race in 7 hours and 24 minutes.3 She has also been diagnosed with cancer, and overcame it, twice.

Justin Willoughby weighed in at 799 pounds before he decided to make a change. He began with simply standing up and sitting down. After years of dedication he got down to 207 pounds. He was able to lose almost 500 pounds, and it all started by standing up.1


Arthur Boorman is a disabled Gulf War veteran who found yoga after 15 years of doctors telling him he would never walk again. He lost 100 pounds in 6 months and is not only walking, he’s also running. He has said that the spark that ignited his success was finding a trainer that believed in him.2     

These are all well-known, extreme cases of people overcoming great odds, but they are proof that with the right mindset we are far more capable than we might have ever thought. They are proof that “too old”, “too fat”, and “too out of shape” are myths.  

1Klein, S. (2014, December 17). 14 most inspiring weight loss stories of 2014. Retrieved October 21, 2016, from http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/

3Press, A. (2015, June 1). NBC News - Breaking News & Top Stories - Latest World, US ... Retrieved October 21, 2016, from http://www.nbcnews.com/

2Staff, E. (n.d.). How Arthur Boorman Changed His Life Forever. Retrieved October 21, 2016, from https://www.muscleandfitness.com/




2 comments:

  1. Mind set is everything! I can admit to having a negative mindset and it causing me to fall off my workout routine. Once I have fallen into this mindset it takes a lot of motivation and self convincing to get back to the gym. One thing is for certain when I get back to the gym I wish I never stopped going. Great examples of individuals that have over come the odds. If they can do it then none of us should have an excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you both! Your body can do so much more than your mind thinks it can. People tend to fall through from workout routines because they start doubting themselves. These examples that you gave are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete