Sunday, December 4, 2016

Gym Myth-Buster I Just Don't Have Time



... alarm clock face.jpg“I just don’t have time” may be the most commonly used excuse I hear from folks. Even though most working adults work 40 or more hours a week, have families, and experience high levels of stress or fatigue. I assure you, you have time. It may not be convenient, you may have to sacrifice that t.v. show, but time can certainly be set aside for physical activity.  Most people that use this excuse are either overestimating how much time is needed to be beneficial or underestimating how important exercise is.

Time- Great things can happen with just 10 minutes of activity per day. A recent study lead by Martin Gibala from McMaster University compared groups of sedentary males. One group was asked to follow a 50 min cycling program that kept them at 70% max heart rate for a 45 minute duration, while the other group was asked to perform 10 minutes of activity with 1 of those minutes being high intensity, performed in intervals of 2 minutes of easy riding followed by 20 sec of all out riding. Participants were asked to continue their program for 3 days per week for 12 weeks. The study found that both groups saw nearly identical results with regards to muscle function and improvements in oxygen consumption.2

Importance- Those who do not make time for exercise can expect to increase their risk of cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, anxiety, depression, and even certain types of cancers.1 Even though it may not be easy we all must make time for physical activity, because if we do not we may very well end up regretting it. Research has also shown that inactivity tends to increase with age, so stop putting it off and start a new healthy habit today.



Risks of Physical Inactivity. (n.d.). Retrieved November 18, 2016, from https://clinicalconnection.hopkinsmedicine.org/

Walton, A. G. (2016, May 3). The Ten-Minute Workout Offers Big Health Benefits, Study Finds. Retrieved November 18, 2016, from http://www.forbes.com/

Photo Credit:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2010-07-20_Black_windup_alarm_clock_face_SVG.svg







3 comments:

  1. I am guilty of having this excuse and I can say I regret it every time. Right now I am working on getting back on track which does involve me waking up earlier than I would like. But I do have better days I get up to work out versus when I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Kassandra, I have used this excuse many times. However, I just started a new program to get me on track with a friend from work. I may have to sacrifice some down time, but I know it will be worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me three! I am also guilty of this excuse! Even on days where I'll be busy all day, I try to just even take a walk around my neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete