Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Positive Effects of Video Games on the Body

So gamers, we start to near our end on this blog journey. I wanted to close out with a really positive one. We’ve covered health issues caused by videogames, nutrition issues we get ourselves into, but not how video games can be used positively.
If you ask my mother, she would tell you nothing good could ever come from a video game, and I’m wasting my time. Yes, I still love my mother even though she bashes my hobby. But I believe my mom is dead wrong on gaming being just a waste of time. Here are a few positive effects that videogames can have.


  • Problem solving and using logic1 – Think about it. Weather you playing Mario and jumping around or playing Call of Duty, you are using your problem solving skills. Either that or you will not be playing the game for very long due to frustration. It may not seem like you are using problem solving skills while working on that K/D, but stop and think about it. You come to a corner in a map and you immediately go through a problem solving situation. Do I stop and wait, do I rush through, where are they spawning, what did that guy just kill me with, do I hear anything. These and many other questions literally go through your mind and process instantly. These problem solving skills help you in your day to day life. I mean you have to make way more difficult decisions in video games versus real life. If anyone tries to argue with this, just tell them about the ending to Mass Effect 3. I guarantee you’ve never had to make a real life decision that could destroy an entire species.   
  • Reflexes2 – Take the same scenario as above. The second you round the corner, you see a body, if you’ve been playing awhile like myself you react faster than someone that just picked up the game. This is why Christmas is the greatest time to play. Christmas noobs just have slower reflexes. Science. Boom.
  • Hand eye coordination – This really gets worked out in FPS games. The ability to move two little sticks or use a mouse and keyboard to shoot someone on the screen takes some serious hand eye coordination. This has been a known cause to cause someone to be a better surgeon.
These are but a few of the positives ways video games can affect your life. Remember some of the key phrases that I’ve used throughout this blog series. Don’t let something you love kill you, take a break every once in awhile, and as always gamers, game safe gamers!



References


1Granic, I. (2013, November 25). Video Games Play May Provide Learning, Health, Social Benefits, Review Finds. Retrieved June 20, 2016, from http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2013/11/video-games.aspx

2The Positive and Negative Effects of Video Games. (2015). Retrieved June 20, 2016, from http://www.raisesmartkid.com/3-to-6-years-old/4-articles/34-the-good-and-bad-effects-of-video-games

No comments:

Post a Comment