Monday, June 6, 2016

Anaerobic activity part 2

                                                     



    Last blog, I discussed what ways anaerobic activities are utilized in sports and what ways  they assist peak performance  in sports. Every benefit comes with risks. This time, I’m going to explain the risk that come along with anaerobic activities.


    In order for your body to go fast, you must apply force. Force, met with resistance creates tension. Tension is that tight feeling you get in your muscles when you’re are sore. While feeling fatigue and tension, it’s pretty hard to focus on coordination, agility, and of course explosion. This allows the body to make mistakes that the body normally doesn’t make. This can cause anything from a rolled ankle to a pulled hamstring. This can happen, whether your body receives warnings about it or not.


    During my senior year of high school, I strained my hamstring from tensing up too much when I felt an opponent gaining on me at my regional qualifier track meet. Instead of getting stem treatment or getting in the cold tub, I tried to push through it during practice. I lifted weights more often, thinking that would make the injured hamstring strong again. Instead of doing running drills and dynamic stretches to warm up for practice, I would sit and do static stretches and then try to practice. Eventually my hamstring started feeling better. I competed in a track meet two weeks after the strain, thinking I was ok. I ended up pulling my hamstring because I never let it heal properly.


    But, sprinting is not the only anaerobic activity that can lead to serious injury. These injuries along with more devastating injuries can happen in the weight room. This is an anaerobic activity, where meeting resistance with force is a requirement and will cause muscle tension. This means that any faulty motion or improper technique can result serious injury. Plenty friends of my have had to sit out for as a week or two to a month from a muscle tear and I’ve had friends sit out from broken bones.

    Next blog, I will discuss how to prevent injuries while participating in aerobic and anaerobic activities.
                                                                            References

1.Anaerobic. (n.d.). Retrieved June 02, 2016, from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/anaerobic
2.Frederick, S. (2012). Track & field. Mankato, MN: Creative Education.




2 comments:

  1. Nice Blog Nick- It's not always no pain no gain- sometimes we have to listen to our bodies. Good Read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick. I definitely had to learn the hard way lol.

      Delete