Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Living With Type 1 Diabetes: JDRF


JDRF, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, is an organization that puts on a walk to cure diabetes. Have you ever been to Walgreens or other stores that have “shoes” hanging all over the walls? These shoes are bought by customers who donated money to diabetic research.

JDRF is the leading type 1 diabetic event in the world and the leading global organization funding promises to type 1 diabetes research.1 The money raised goes to research to find scientific ways to help make living with type 1 diabetes easier. Some of the things that JDRF has mentioned could help are an artificial pancreas, reduce diabetes from adding other complications to life, and beta cell replacement.1

As a little girl, I used to participate in these walks yearly. My family and I would create a team, get shirts made, raise a lot of money, and overall have fun. This experience was something I will remember forever. I still participate today but do not create a huge team. One year I got to cut the ribbon to begin the race because I was the top fundraising team. My teams name is “Nichole’s Angels”. Each year we participate, I place an order for shirts if anyone participating on my team wants one. It is a fun event. At the walk, there are also a lot of vendors with diabetic supplies, so I get to go and see all the new gadgets and tools that we are raising money for these companies to make.

Anyone can donate to JDRF. By joining a team to walk with, you can make donations when signing up for the team. Local stores sometimes have donations during certain months. You can also go to the JDRF website and donate right there online. Every dollar counts! About 1.25 million American adults and children are living with type 1 diabetes today. Diabetes is also ranked number 7 in leading cause of death.2

So let me ask you, will you donate to JDRF, or any other research foundation for type 1 diabetes? Help create a world where type 1 diabetes is easier to live with or completely nonexistent. I can speak for all the type 1 diabetics in this world when I say every penny to research matters and makes a difference in our life! Nichole’s Angels will be participating in the walk this year. If you or a friend would like to join the team or donate money to the team, my team will be listed on the website under my team name. I hope you will want to help turn type 1 into type none!

References:
1Donate To JDRF Today | JDRF.org. (n.d.). Retrieved June 20, 2016, from http://diabetesfoundation.jdrf.com/info/jdrf/

2Help me create a world without type 1 diabetes. (n.d.). Retrieved June 20, 2016, from http://www2.jdrf.org/site/PageServer?pagename=walk_website_about_jdrf

1 comment:

  1. T5RX The toddlertoddler automobile seat then can be connected to a stroller frame and later it may reattach to the bottom thats in the car. take a look at out your options and dont forget whats going to be fine as a ways as expenses are worried. Do your research and determine whats going to be quality for you and your child. continually the first challenge should be the protection of your baby from day one. http://www.strongtesterone.com/t5rx/

    ReplyDelete