Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Hiking to Healthy

When I first began hiking it was more for the scenery, fresh air, and the possibility to snap some cool pictures. Then I climbed Guadalupe Peak, the highest natural point in Texas with an elevation of 8,751 feet, with a group of competitive friends; we practically raced up the mountain! I wore a heart rate monitor on that hike and was stunned to see that my heart rate got up to 190 bpm and I burned over 4,000 kcalories. I then realized the incredible physical and cardiovascular benefits of hiking.
Hiking has a unique balance amongst muscular strength, endurance, flexibility, rest, and emotional and spiritual wellness; all that is needed to maintain physical well-being.

3 comments:

  1. I have never had an opportunity to go hiking regularly, but I feel like I can relate after the Spartan Race I completed. Yes, it is a little different than hiking, but the course I completed was through the woods and wilderness, and even though I was competing, it gave me the serenity of being in nature. Any time it is possible to workout in nature, the spiritual benefits only add and enrich the physical benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only ever hiked a couple of times in my life, but every time I have gotten the opportunity, I walk away feeling refreshed and happy. It is definitely something I would like to take more seriously someday because the outdoor and tough appeal is very intriguing. I like a good challenge now that I am a washed up athlete!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiking is a great form of exercise and one can really benefit from participating. Going on hikes is a simple way to workout and raise your heart rate without really feeling like you are working out, just get up off of your butt and start walking. The cardiovascular benefits one receives from this make a list a mile long. Not to mention the benefits it gives you mentally, walking through nature and getting lost in your thoughts really helps to ground me and would probably help a lot of people in the same way.

    ReplyDelete