Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Need to have Adaptive Physical Education in the School Systems



images.jpg





Adapted Physical Education (APE) is a specially designed physical education program which uses accommodations and modifications to meet the needs of students who require developmental or corrective instruction in PE. For example, a game of catch can be adapted in multiple ways based on the needs of a student. A ball with a bumpy texture or with a bell inside can be used for students with tactile or auditory needs, the distance the ball is thrown or bounced can be decreased for students , or a scarf could be used for students who

In the school systems that I have been in there has seemed to be a shortage in APE teachers and programs. For example in the Stephenville schools I have noticed that students with special needs or disabilities are basically getting pushed to the back of the line. This is by no means right in any way at all. Congress enacted a law in 1975 that gave all children with disabilities the opportunity to receive a free public education just like normal children. This was to be called IDEA, “Individuals with Disabilities Act”.(1)  Over the last year and half while substituting for schools in Erath County,it seemed  that the APE program did not exist at all. I did notice that from the 6th grade and below there was a small amount of PE or recess time for these students. Then once the students were between 7-12th grade there was no PE or recess for them. The students in the high school only go outside for 30 minutes a day, otherwise they stay inside the school the entire day. During PE class they attend normal PE however the students who are confined to wheelchairs just sit off to the side with the teachers. The students who are able to walk/run on their own are basically just told to walk around the outside of the basketball court. None of the students with disabilities get any sort of physical activity that.

The national standards for APE are set by the Adaptive Physical Education National Standards APENS.(2) Federal law mandates free and appropriate public education services for all children with disabilities. Subsequently, the law mandated that these services be provided by qualified professionals. The definition of special education within this law included the discipline of physical education.


References

3 comments:

  1. It has always made me sad to see the special education students off on the sidelines during PE class. Do you think it is the Physical Education teacher's responsibility to include them with the rest of the students or should there be a set time/class that all of the special ed. students participate in together regardless of age/grade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the special education students all be in the same PE class would be a last resort to me. It is my opinion that they should be included with the normal PE students. From my experience with special education students they like to be included and treated just like the normal students.

      Delete
  2. I was haven herpes 2 on my private part. I have had them for about 2 and a bit years. I am so scared what my mates are going to says if there should fined out i have herpes on my private part and due to the virus my girlfriend broke up with me. I have been to the Doctors 9 times to get it treated. They all come back. I have been using Tee Tree Oil and Wartner (You freeze them at home) and they seem to be keeping the smaller herpes small but they can't seem to treat the larger ones. They don't get any bigger, but then they can't shrink as much. They get smaller a little part at a time. At least they are getting smaller! As soon as I see a new herpes appearing, then I treat it. At the moment I have been using Tee Tree twice a week and then using Wartner every 2 weeks. I was wondering if there was any other information about how to get rid of it. I am only a teenager and I hate it most when it get pi-chins me to scratch it, it get sweets when scratching it most times! I want to get rid of it so bad! DR.ONOKUN website has been a huge help and has helped me realize a lot more about me and my family of genital herpes! so that was when i switch for natural remedy to see if there could be any help by herbal remedy, i search and i saw a great posts by Sarah devise adebayo ehijactor and shanttel Merritt on about the great herbal doctor that get them rid of there disease infection. and this great herbal doctor was called DR.ONOKUN so that was when i contacted him for my own treatment and he prepared me some herbs which i takes for some couples of days, and i take it as he says before i am to no me and my family was perfectly cure for it and never experience it again. please friends if you have herpes virus and you really wants to get rid of it, please contact this great DR.ONOKUN for herbal treatment and you will get rid of it. EMAIL. dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete