Friday, September 11, 2015

Physical Therapy The Love Affair

Physical therapy is a head-over-heels, puppy-love kind of feeling for me.  I literally love going to work everyday in a physical therapy clinic. This blog will express the highs and lows of being a future physical therapist. Today I’ll start by describing the early days.

I first began thinking about physical therapy as a career in high school; this was my first “career crush”, if you will.  I had a few knee and ankle injuries during that time and had to get treated by orthopedic surgeons and physical therapists.  I loved the atmosphere at the physical therapy clinic, it was more grownup than the high school gym but still everyone was working hard to achieve his or her physical goals. The therapist had excellent bedside manner and the other patients were always friendly despite the uncomfortable feeling of stretching and exercising.

Image from Google
I will be a lucky person to be able to do something I love everyday for the rest of my life. Physical therapy and I are such a perfect match because, I’ve been a natural caregiver my whole life, I love taking care of others and making them feel good.


I’m completely engaged and committed to my future in physical therapy, I decided the day it was time to pick a major that I was going to give it 110%.  From prerequisites, to observation hours, to applications; this process extended from August 2007 to August 2015.  This eight-year engagement will hopefully turn into a full blow marriage in the next three years.


National Falls Prevention Awareness Day is September 23; this year there are 5 great resources available on our APTA webpage. Click here for more info! http://www.apta.org/PTinMotion/News/2015/9/9/FallsResources/

World Physical Therapy Day a Time to Strengthen Connections, Says WCPT President; details are available on our APTA webpage. Click here for more info! http://www.apta.org/PTinMotion/News/2015/9/8/WorldPTDay/

REFRENCES:
National Council on Aging, (NCOA). (2015, September 9). Get Ready for Falls Prevention Awareness Day With These 5 Great Resources. Retrieved September 10, 2015, from http://www.apta.org/PTinMotion/News/2015/9/8/WorldPTDay/

World Confederation for Physical Therapy, (WCPT). (2015, September 9). World Physical Therapy Day a Time to Strengthen Connections, Says WCPT President. Retrieved September 10, 2015, from http://www.apta.org/PTinMotion/News/2015/9/8/WorldPTDay/

1 comment:

  1. I understand you when it comes to doing what you love. As an athlete, I have been to a therapist before and their services were great. Some therapist like you will do it with joy, but those who don't enjoy it tend to be mean. I have also been treated by a mean one before, and up till today I get scared to even go to the Doctor. Whenever I get hurt, I will look for you.

    ReplyDelete