Friday, September 11, 2015

Campus Recreation and Academic Success

http://tinyurl.com/pvucupo
Campus Recreation is a vital part of the lives of many students, faculty, staff, and alumni who use the facility and services. Recreational facilities are attended by members every day for activities such as leisure, class, intramurals, or work. Most facilities’ goal is to provide an environment that promotes a healthy lifestyle and encourages commitment to lifelong fitness. Likewise, Tarleton State University’s Recreational Sports Facility’s mission is: “To provide opportunities to engage in activities, programs and special events that promote healthy active lifestyles, leadership development, social interaction and educational opportunities…”1 However, often overlooked, is the underlying effect of academic success that comes from facility use.

The most basic tool to calculate academic success, the grade point average, is a simple yet effective instrument to use to determine if there is a relation between recreational center attendance and students grades. A study conducted in 2009 compared academic and health levels of users versus nonusers determined that frequent users of the facility retained a higher grade point average (.2 higher) than nonusers2 This study suggests that students who stay active by using a recreation facility will have better grade point averages than the students that do not use a recreation facility.


When it comes to maximizing your grade point average, using the campus recreational facility on a frequent basis could be very beneficial to oneself. Although working out or participating in intramural sports is not for everyone, it should be considered due to the increase in sedentary lifestyles amongst 21st century United States citizens. If the gym is not an ideal setting, incorporate a minimum of 60 minutes of physical fitness or activity each day to reap the countless benefits of staying active, such as better health levels and increased grade point averages.

1Rec Sports. (n.d.). Retrieved September 3, 2015, from

2Todd, M. K., Czyszczon, G., Carr, J. W., & Pratt, C. (2009). Comparison of health and   academic indices between campus recreation facility users and nonusers. Recreational Sports Journal, 33(1)

3 comments:

  1. This is great information that I will be sharing with my middle school students. I think that this information is applicable to them by motivation those that are involved in regular physical activities to continue and for those that are not to start getting involved. I find that many of my students that are not involved in regular physical activity are very motivated academically but see do not see a worthwhile benefit of regular physical activity and hopefully this will peak their interest to start getting active.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most people think athletes dont benefit any academically from sports. I love how you backed up your information showing that physical education can help with academics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was haven herpes 2 on my private part. I have had them for about 2 and a bit years. I am so scared what my mates are going to says if there should fined out i have herpes on my private part and due to the virus my girlfriend broke up with me. I have been to the Doctors 9 times to get it treated. They all come back. I have been using Tee Tree Oil and Wartner (You freeze them at home) and they seem to be keeping the smaller herpes small but they can't seem to treat the larger ones. They don't get any bigger, but then they can't shrink as much. They get smaller a little part at a time. At least they are getting smaller! As soon as I see a new herpes appearing, then I treat it. At the moment I have been using Tee Tree twice a week and then using Wartner every 2 weeks. I was wondering if there was any other information about how to get rid of it. I am only a teenager and I hate it most when it get pi-chins me to scratch it, it get sweets when scratching it most times! I want to get rid of it so bad! DR.ONOKUN website has been a huge help and has helped me realize a lot more about me and my family of genital herpes! so that was when i switch for natural remedy to see if there could be any help by herbal remedy, i search and i saw a great posts by Sarah devise adebayo ehijactor and shanttel Merritt on about the great herbal doctor that get them rid of there disease infection. and this great herbal doctor was called DR.ONOKUN so that was when i contacted him for my own treatment and he prepared me some herbs which i takes for some couples of days, and i take it as he says before i am to no me and my family was perfectly cure for it and never experience it again. please friends if you have herpes virus and you really wants to get rid of it, please contact this great DR.ONOKUN for herbal treatment and you will get rid of it. EMAIL. dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete