Thursday, September 10, 2015

Cerebral Palsy is Not an Exception to Exercise

http://tinyurl.com/oj3u2x3
If you are an individual diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy (CP), you are no different than any other human on this planet. So why are you being treated as such? Throughout the years, people have been scared of the liability of exercising anyone who is different. To obtain physical activity you have go to a physical therapy office and struggle with insurance simply to obtain a greater quality of life. A little known fact is that all people need exercise throughout their lifespan for optimal health benefits. What if you could go into a gym and exercise like everyone else?
When individuals think of Cerebral Palsy, they generally assume the worst. CP is defined as “a group of permanent disorders of movement and posture causing activity limitation that are attributed to non-progressive disturbances that occurred in the developing fetal or infant brain.”1 The definition of CP in itself is negative and discouraging. Physical fitness is an essential part of life enhancing cardiovascular endurance, muscle strength, and flexibility.  People with CP must maintain higher levels of physical activity to help offset changes from their condition including spasticity, contractures, pain, and reduced mobility. With increased amounts of exercise, those conditions will lesson and almost disappear. With time, you will reduce your intake of medications, and depression may no longer become an issue.
In an interview with Jerry Thornton, a 52 year old with CP who has been exercising for the last twenty years at the Lab for Wellness and Motor Behavior, he says, “I only pay about 8 dollars a year in health care. I never catch the common cold during flu season and my heart is healthier than most athletes.”  Thornton leads by example, and people need to follow his direction. Three benefits of exercise for people with CP are: “preventing secondary musculoskeletal impairments and maximizing physical functioning; fostering the cognitive, social, and emotional development of (individuals); and developing maintaining and…restoring neural structures and pathways.”2
Living a sedentary lifestyle leads to devastating outcomes such as muscle atrophy, depression, fatigue, cardiovascular disease. There are few programs that foster the idea that exercise should be created equally for all people. If you are an individual with CP, find a gym that is right for you and consult with a professional for the best way to adapt your workout to meet your needs. Follow Thornton’s example and add strength training, muscle endurance, stretching, and stabilization to your everyday routine.

References

1Damiano, D. (2006). Activity, Activity, Activity: Rethinking Our Physical Therapy Approach to Cerebral Palsy. Physical Therapy, 86(11), 1534-1540. doi:10.25/22/ptj.20050397
2Hombergen, S., Huisstede, B., Streur, M., Stam, H., Slaman, J., Bussmann, J., & Berg-Emons, R. (2012). Impact of Cerebral Palsy on Health-Related Physical Fitness in Adults: Systematic Review. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 93(5), 871-881. doi:10.1016/j.apmr.2011.11.032

2 comments:

  1. As always I love hearing about the people we have in the Wellness Lab, I really wish we had a lab like this for children/students with all kinds of disabilities. It would be such a great thing to have and to show that we need to have PE classes include all students with disabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was haven herpes 2 on my private part. I have had them for about 2 and a bit years. I am so scared what my mates are going to says if there should fined out i have herpes on my private part and due to the virus my girlfriend broke up with me. I have been to the Doctors 9 times to get it treated. They all come back. I have been using Tee Tree Oil and Wartner (You freeze them at home) and they seem to be keeping the smaller herpes small but they can't seem to treat the larger ones. They don't get any bigger, but then they can't shrink as much. They get smaller a little part at a time. At least they are getting smaller! As soon as I see a new herpes appearing, then I treat it. At the moment I have been using Tee Tree twice a week and then using Wartner every 2 weeks. I was wondering if there was any other information about how to get rid of it. I am only a teenager and I hate it most when it get pi-chins me to scratch it, it get sweets when scratching it most times! I want to get rid of it so bad! DR.ONOKUN website has been a huge help and has helped me realize a lot more about me and my family of genital herpes! so that was when i switch for natural remedy to see if there could be any help by herbal remedy, i search and i saw a great posts by Sarah devise adebayo ehijactor and shanttel Merritt on about the great herbal doctor that get them rid of there disease infection. and this great herbal doctor was called DR.ONOKUN so that was when i contacted him for my own treatment and he prepared me some herbs which i takes for some couples of days, and i take it as he says before i am to no me and my family was perfectly cure for it and never experience it again. please friends if you have herpes virus and you really wants to get rid of it, please contact this great DR.ONOKUN for herbal treatment and you will get rid of it. EMAIL. dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete