Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Tarleton State University Athletic Performance


http://www.tarletonsports.com/sports/2009/8/23/_0823095029.aspx
Tarleton State University’s Athletic Performance program consists of all athletic sports including football, men’s and women’s basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball, women’s tennis, women’s golf, men’s and women’s track and field, men’s and women’s cross country, and the cheer squads. Head strength and conditioning coach, Rod Cole, assistant strength coach Adam Biehl, professional assistant Leigh Anne Rogers, and graduate assistant Cole Martin implement strength and conditioning tactics for the above teams.
Tarleton State University’s athletic performance program is growing with the amount of interns and also student athletes. TSU’s athletic performance program is the best in Division II, considering our head strength and conditioning coach is a Master Strength coach for NCAA and the program also keeps on staff an assistant strength coach some Division II colleges do not have. There are approximately 300 athletes with one head strength coach, an assistant, one paid professional intern, one graduate assistant, five graduate interns, and a slew of student volunteers. The facilities provide 10 powerlift racks along with 10 separate platforms where athletes are able to Olympic lift throughout a work out that’s provided. 

 I have noticed there are not any signs presenting where the athletic weight room is in the halls of the kinesiology building. Incoming freshman that are athletes, Texan tours, and kinesiology professors know where the weight room may be, but students of other majors do not know that the facilities is athletes only. There are some majors that need activity courses and some may need to know where it is within the specific class chosen. Some classes within the kinesiology major also use the weight room and individuals may not know where it is located. Recruits know that our facilities are located in the west wing of the kinesiology building but some walk-on athletes may not. Signs that direct people towards the weight room would be beneficial. I propose we create signs to direct to where our program is located. This is where we strive to improve athletic performance and decrease the injury rate of our athletes that we conduct work outs for on a daily basis.

Within our program we sell tank tops as a fund raiser. With those funds the department purchases polo’s, t-shirts, and other official gear that will show recognition towards our staff. As of now the tank top fund raiser is the only event we do to raise money for our department. Equipment purchases come from an annual budget set by that Athletic Director. 

Pursuing classes for students that have an interest in strength and conditioning better prepares interns with knowledge about the field. The provided knowledge to our current interns and student assistants, could possibly create better strength coaches for not only at the collegiate level but even at the professional or high school levels. The staff is so busy during the day with the amount of athletes that come in we are unable to provide the time to teach each other new things within our profession since there is a constant change in new learnings.

Finally, there are many great things Tarleton State University’s Athletic Performance provides for the athletes and staff. More things could be done but the staff is still able to provide the athletes with a well-designed, injury free, and character development program within NCAA guidelines.

11 comments:

  1. I love this article and to hear all the things they re saying. I'm thinking about trying out for football next year so knowing that we have the best strength coach in all NCAA just makes my decision to walk on that much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all the information put into this article. I now know where the strength and conditioning weight room is for future reference. That's an awesome fact about TSU being the best athletic performance program in Division II!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea at all that Tarleton had the number one strength and conditioning coach in all of Division II.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very informative article. I was actually pretty curious about the strength & conditioning program here. I've been debating whether I want to be a Strength & conditioning coach or not. I do agree that we should advertise the weight room a little more so people will know where its at. Personally, I've never been in there but I would like to take a peek.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was told that if you were not in any athletics then you were not allowed to go in to the weight room, but im not for sure. So I usually go to the rec and work out still. I also never knew we had the best Athletic Performance Program in Division II.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its crazy to see that Tarleton had the number one strength and conditioning coach in all of Division II. I have never been or seen the weight room because I have never really heard anything about it, so I think they need to advertise it a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea we had such a large strength and conditioning staff let alone the top staff in all of D2, being that I was a collegiate athlete at two school before attending Tarleton I can understand how fortunate we are to have such qualified professional teaching our athletes because this was not available at either of my former schools.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty cool to see that TSU has the best weight training program in all of D2, this could definitely lead to the building of more successful athletes and attraction of higher ranked recruits in the future, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been in this facility many of times and am very familiar with the greatness that is there. I have improved on my weight training and speed. We are very fortunate to have a facility like this here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not know that Tarleton had the best weight training staff out of all of the division 2 schools in the NCAA

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete