Thursday, November 13, 2014

Low Back Pain: Causes and Preventions


Low back pain is a common issue with people in and out of the fitness world. Once the problem sets in, the individual becomes sedentary and does nothing to help the problem. People also tend to over do some things that end up hurting their low back, or lumbar spine.

The lumbar spine is made to be a stable joint. The hips and thoracic spine, which are below and above the lumbar region, are made to be mobile. When an individual has tight or inflexible hips, the lumbar spine compensates and becomes mobile. This is seen in the squat when a person attempts to squat low and their hips tuck underneath, known as a “butt wink” or posterior pelvic tilt. Over time this can cause stiffness or pain in the surrounding muscles or vertebrae. To prevent this from occurring, focus on hip mobility work in your training. Also, get a spotter to watch your depth on your squats and begin to drive back up when you have hit parallel depth or before a butt wink occurs.1

The common everyday event of moving things or picking things up off of the ground is where most low back injuries occur. Most individuals will lift with their back rounded and have stiff legs.  In the deadlift, it is seen very commonly that people will lift without a tight core and their lumbar spine will relax in a sense, causing lumbar flexion. When lifting something from the ground, have a solid base of support, flat back, and let your legs do most of the lifting.2

References
1 Robertson, M. (2014, January 1). Five Habits of Defective Squatters. Retrieved November 10, 2014, from http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/five-habits-of-defective-squatters/

2 How to Deadlift, Deadlifting Techniques. (2009, January 1). Retrieved November 10, 2014, from http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-deadlift-deadlifting-techniques

9 comments:

  1. I've heard that usually a stiff back can be directly associated with your glute flexibility (tight glutes pull down on the back). If someone tells me they have back pain, I usually tell them to stretch those muscles.

    Do you recommend any specific stretches or mobility exercises for a tight lower back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interesting because 3 years ago I hurt my lower back really bad snowboarding. To this day doing deadlift will still cause pains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a freshman in high school I used to struggle with the same lower back problems that the article mentions. I even received the same advice from coaches and trainers. I feel that tips like these should be stressed to any athlete that spends time in the weight room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've constantly struggled with lower back pain to the point where squats and dead lift are exercises I simply avoid. Going to a chiropractor and constantly stretching my hip flexors have helped in general but the pain doesn't subside easily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very helpful! I constantly have lower back pain and now I know why. I have gone to many chiropractors and it has only helped for a day or two. Hip mobility will be a huge focus of mine from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having a deformed vertebra i experience these pains everyday. I have been lifting with my legs and i have noticed the pain has decreased a little.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back pain definitely used to keep me sedentary and not wanting to go to the gym. It wasn't until I shifted my focus to hip mobility that I saw low back pain subside. Thanks for the article!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Between squatting and deadlifting throughout high school and college my back seems to always be in pain, but now that I know what my spotter needs to look for I feel that I will see a reduction in pain in the coming months and years. This article was a life saver because at some points the pain hurts so much that I don't even want to get out of bed and walk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading this blog reminds me of how my Aunt always made me use my legs to lift. Bend you knees is what she always says. Using knees to lift is very important.

    ReplyDelete