Friday, November 21, 2014

Coaching the Next Generation

In the field of coaching I think the two most overlooked niches that can help a coach market his/her program is their ability to change and to connect to their players. First off, the game of football is always evolving and changing. The most successful coaches, no matter what level or sport, are the ones that stay ahead of the game. These coaches see the changes beginning to happen and get a foot in the door before everyone else. Specifically, in football you have to change with the game or you will become a dinosaur. In my mind, the best way to adapt is to go to coaching clinics and listen to lectures from successful coaches on their philosophies and coaching styles.

Currently, I am a member of the Texas High School Coaches Association (THSCA) and the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA), both of which I have attended the THSCA and AFCA conferences and listened to coaches such as Mack Brown, David Cuttcliff and Nick Saban speak about their time as a coach. These high profile coaches spoke on their coaching philosophy rather than the X’s and O’s of the game. These influential coaches were extremely passionate in the way they spoke on how they treat their players, fellow coaches and how to handle wins and losses. Embracing the aspects these successful coaches and adapting them to fit your coaching style is one of the most important things that a coach can do.

Another niche that is overlooked is the ability to connect with players. All players respond to specific coaching differently. If a coach can’t connect and get to know his/her players they will never fully understand how to coach them correctly. Sometimes it can be difficult to connect with your students/players. You have to make yourself open to the players in order for this to happen. You can’t expect a player to open up to you and discuss their life outside of football and school if you don’t come off as a relatable and non-judgmental person.

If my players come out every game and execute and dominate the other teams defensive line, that is great marketing of my coaching ability. It shows that I have taught the players the game of football and coached them with a fiery attitude. In order to do this I first have to sell my knowledge, passion and love for the game to my players. I have to get my players to buy into my philosophies and mentality and play the game with a certain characteristics that I instill in them. I want my players to play the game with class, discipline, effort and a certain swagger and tenacity that puts them into a league of their own. The only way that my players will demonstrate these qualities on the field is if I possess them every day I step onto the field whether it be practice or a game. 

In order for a program to come together and play great like a family, it requires them to buy into the philosophies and attitude of the program truly play the game for one another instead of themselves.

The only way to redefine the standards in order to transform the game is to become the coach with the most dominating players year in and year out. I strive to come to practice every single day with a level of preparedness and enthusiasm that is unmatched and hopefully these qualities will rub off on my players to prove that we are the best in the game.

In my field of interest, the product that I need to market is my coaching ability. Selling your coaching ability can be a difficult thing to do because it’s not a tangible good. The only way to market and try to sell my ‘product’ is by the way my players carry themselves on the field and how they play the game.



2 comments:

  1. You're right about athletes buying into the coaches philosophies. The athletes will not truly merge together into a real team into they take in what the coach is feeding them and believe in what he's doing is going to make them successful. Spot on article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coaches that connect to players will get the most out of them. That to me means the player respects the coach. I agree that if each player comes out and performs for the coaches every practice then that is a reflection of the coach. Marketing coaching and bein able to get this type of coaching out can help make the program successful

    ReplyDelete