Thursday, April 3, 2014

Getting in a Workout During the Work Day


My personal fitness is varied, recreational, and competitive. With the opportunity to instruct activities courses for Tarleton, I’m blessed with built-in workouts and workout partners. Racquetball twice a week affords me some physically-intense competition as I interact with my students while fitness walking allows me to slow down and enjoy interactions. Fortunately, I have a large selection of students who also enjoy volleyball so we play almost weekly in the Rec Center. While my own routine may be sporadic, I’m grateful for these pre-determined time slots in which I can meet my cardiovascular needs and feed my competitive side. 

4 comments:

  1. The variety in activity is a good thing! Sometimes I think that people get a little too specific with their routines, and when they try to do an activity that is slightly different, they find it difficult. Now - having the set times to workout is usually a bonus. Routine builds in consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great that you get involved directly with your students. Staying active and interacting with them in racquetball sets a great example and is something all instructors should do. Participating in activities that you can enjoy, such as volleyball helps keep you exercising on a regular basis. This supports what I always tell my clients and people I meet, which is to try out different types of exercise and sports until they find something that works for them! Keep doing what you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping your fitness routine out of the standard gym is a great way to keep it fresh. Participating in activities that you enjoy is crucial in maintaining an active lifestyle for life. The interactive and competition will keep you coming back for more. I also the example you are setting for your students by participating with them and showing them that being active does not necessarily mean spending an hour on a piece of equipment; it can mean a fun game of volleyball!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Tarleton does a great job of offering all sorts of activities for us students to do. My friends and I love going to the rec to play volleyball, and I even get some of them to go to my weights class with me on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

    ReplyDelete