Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Fitness Apps: All the Rage in 2013

       Two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese, so it is not surprising that many Americans resolve to lose weight each year.  In order to combat obesity, mobile health and fitness applications (apps) have been created to be used on tablets and smartphones. These apps have been generated in hopes of making people fitter and healthier. A recent report by MobiHealthNews indicates that over 13,000 health and fitness apps were available to iPhone users in 2012.  These apps include everything from daily workouts to food journals to motivational tools. With thousands of apps available, it might be easy to feel completely overwhelmed.  As a fitness professional, I suggest that you simplify the process and ask yourself, “What am I trying to achieve?”
        · Want to improve your long distance running? Apps such as Nike+ Running or MapMyRun will provide you with GPS tools, total distance, calories burned and average pace. 
        ·Need to spice up your fitness routine? There are a wide variety of apps to choose from --- Tai Chi Fundamentals, P90X, Simply Yoga and Nike Training Club.
        ·Want to manage your weight through a healthy diet?  Apps such as Loseit! And MyFitnessPal are online food databases that provide nutritional and caloric information that allow you to monitor your food intake.
There are thousands of apps that can motivate and provide new incentives for you to continue your journey toward achieving great health and fitness.  Download your app today!

3 comments:

  1. Technology and wellness ... an odd combination that actually works if used correctly! Just curious - what is your favorite fitness app?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nike + Running is my favorite! It is easy to use and the GPS feature is great to know how far each run was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fitness apps! This was a great idea for a blog so that we can get the word out there for others to keep track of their goals. I have recently been using My Fitness Pal to track my progress and to ensure that I am eating the right amount and type of food for my activity level. It is so easy to use and by using this app consistently I noticed that my diet was much higher in sodium, fat, and sugar then I expected. It has not only made me aware of what I’m putting in my mouth but it has made it simple, easy, and fun! You can also create groups on this app so that you can be accountable with other people by seeing what they log if you so choose. Very imformative blog!

    ReplyDelete