Thursday, March 21, 2013

Assessment & Dance

Interscholastic coaches should be required to submit learning outcomes and a formal assessment plan to the athletic director at the beginning of the season, just as any educator would to be expected to before the school year. As a high school dance coach, the skills that I teach my athletes should be just as important as what they learn in core classes. My goal is to make sure my student-athletes are getting as much out of my dance program as possible. I deliberately work to build respectful, self-motivated, successful individuals as well as great athletes.

While educators who teach core subjects are accountable for developing lesson plans, I am responsible for doing the same for my program.  If coaches were required to submit learning outcomes and assessment plans to the athletic director perhaps it would add to the credibility of those who clearly strive to teach their student-athletes more than just winning. The job of coaching is not “easier” than those of teachers who are in a classroom all day. By providing a formal means of assessment, it is my belief that many school personnel would better understand the vital role of coaches in education. 

No comments:

Post a Comment