Friday, September 20, 2013

Vitamin I (Ibuprofen) ---- The Go-To Drug for Athletes

If you were to look in an athlete’s bag or locker, you would find that the majority of them contain a bottle of “Vitamin I” (ibuprofen or any other NSAIDs). Among the most popular Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs that an athlete can find without a prescription (OTC drugs) are Motrin, Advil, Tylenol, Aleve, and Aspirin. 

Athletes may take NSAIDs before physical activity to reduce anticipated pain, while others may use NSAIDs during or after working out to decrease discomfort from musculoskeletal injury or soreness. This would be okay if they did not use it on a regular basis. But unfortunately, this is not the case. In fact, Wijck & Lenaerst (2012) reported that 90% of professional soccer players use NSAIDs. Overuse of NSAID’s, like with any other drugs, can cause negative side effects that many athletes fail to recognize.

Andrea Sattinger, in the article Caring for Ages (2004), stated that “the most common adverse effects of non-selective NSAIDs (inhibitor of both types of the COX enzyme) are gastrointestinal intolerabilities”. Upset stomach, mild heartburn, diarrhea, constipation, coughing up blood, and stomach ulcers are some of the few conditions that may occur due to uncontrolled use of Vitamin I. 

According to www.drugs.com, the maximum amount of ibuprofen for adults is 800 milligrams per dose or 3200 mg per day (4 maximum doses). Athletes should eat before taking ibuprofen to prevent upset stomach. Dr. Maria Urso, a research scientist in the Military Performance Division Performance Division (USARIEM) stated that “NSAIDs are beneficial in the first 48 hours following an acute injury. However, if you are using a NSAID as a daily vitamin, stop. There is no benefit to take a NSAID daily and you are likely hindering your adaptation, recovery, and overall performance”.

Finally, athletes should not see Ibuprofen or NSAIDs as the ultimate resource to get rid of pain and discomfort. The truth is that soreness and injuries are a part of sports – NSAIDs are just masking agents. A good alternative method to control pain is the RICE principle (REST, ICE, COMPRESSION, and ELEVETION). This is a very safe method to decrease pain and swelling after injury or post physical activity. Ultimately, Athletes should always consult with a health-care professional before buying that bottle of Vitamin I.  

10 comments:

  1. As a former athlete, I remember seeing fellow teammates eat "Vitamin I" like Skittles. "Take some Ibuprofen" is a widely known saying in the athletic world. I think it would surprise a lot of people to hear that habitually taking these anti-inflammatories are not healing our injuries, but just masking that pain for a little while.
    Even in the personal training world, clients will leave sessions and take NSAIDs to prevent feeling soreness - it's part of it, people! The constant use of ibuprofen is doing more harm.
    I will start suggesting the RICE principle to my clients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a former athlete as well, I used to see teammates with bottles stashed in their lockers and bags. I knew that taking an excess of Ibuprofen was unhealthy, but I never knew how bad. I also feel many athletes will take it as a comfort mechanism. It may not also help them, but it is taken for anything and everything so it makes them feel better to know something is in their system. RICE is a great alternative and a better method so I will also recommend it more as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article, I recently had some dental work done, and as we finished up the dentist handed me a cup that contained three Advil. After handing it to me he said, “You were an athlete, these shouldn't be a problem for you.” It is interesting how common it is for athletes to reach for the NSAIDs. As an athlete, I never thought twice about it. Looking back now, I feel I could have given myself better preventative treatment then to always reach for a bottle of Advil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article told the story of my life as an athlete. Before and after games I would be popping ibuprofen like they were tic tacs and never thought twice about it. After educating myself on the subject looking back I know realize how foolish my actions were and how badly I could have really injured myself. Ibuprofen isn't a cure but most athletes see it as such when really it is just a lazy way to go about dealing with injuries. This was a great article that I believe all athletes should take the time to read and educate themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NSAID’s are becoming more and more popular among athletes everywhere for their soreness, aching, and pain they might feel prior, during, or after physical activity. I completely agree with the article, that Ibuprofen and similar type of OTC drugs are becoming a problem among athletes. Athletes are becoming way too dependent on these drugs, but in reality they don’t heal the body, they mask the pain. I have known many athletes over my lifetime that have played basketball and baseball that would take NSAID’s before a game because they wanted to “ fight” through the pain. A safe, healthy alternative can be glutamine, which reduces soreness. Also, proper rest and icing after activity can reduce swelling and helps reduce the pain or soreness. When in doubt, rest. I believe athletes should wean themselves off these “wonder drugs,” unless the pain is intolerable, and look at natural ways to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like many others have already stated as an athlete I used to take ibuprofen constantly during season. I played soccer and after every game I iced my legs and elevated but also took ibuprofen. I was always under the impression that pain would be relieved quicker. Now looking back, while running cross-country our coach encouraged us to stretch and ice our legs and muscles after every practice and meet. I notice that my body recovered much sooner when I was caring for my body the proper way. Instead of being fatigued from day to day I was able to better my time from week to week and I whole heartedly believe it was due to the proper care for my body during cross-country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a football player at Tarleton I relied more heavily on Celebrex than Ibuprofen but had many teammates that used it frequently. The problem is not always with the athletes, often it is the athlete’s trainers are who create the problem. I remember in high school out athletic trainer used Ibuprofen as a cure all for athletes. Those types of habits can carry out throughout a person’s life and be very detrimental as was stated in this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a former basketball player I can relate to this topic because just like others I saw players taking Advil and medicine of that matter to cure the pain. Also I seen players use Icy Hot like it was lotion to make their knees, backs, or whatever was hurting them feel better. Personally I think that a lot of the medicine they were taking was helping them more mentally than physically. It’s more of a mind thing to me, I mean I’m sure the medicine helps out in some degree but I think it makes them feel better mentally than anything. So I guess if it’s not illegal and it makes them feel better and play better than go ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome post! about the characteristics of Ibuprofen that offers prescriptive medication Motrin ibuprofen for the temporary relief of minor aches, headache, toothache, muscular aches and backache. Thanks for sharing this informative info with us

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was younger playing baseball I would see teammates and other players take Aspirin prior to games. At the time I didn’t think anything of it. I knew that it was a pain reliever, that’s about it. I wouldn’t take Aspirin before games but at times I would take it after for a sore arm or legs. After hearing this information about how taking these NSAID’s can actually decrease a player’s performance shocks me. But like you said, “with any other drugs, can cause negative side effects that many athletes fail to recognize.” This blog will help future athletes and coaches deal with players taking NSAID’s and help these players realize what the effects are of taking these drugs on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete