Thursday, September 12, 2013

History of Strength Training 101 – Part 1

Strength training is a practice that has been around for centuries and can be dated to times as far back as the Chou Dynasty (3600 B.C.) when subjects would have to pass weight lifting tests before entering the military (www.cscca.org/news/legendsaward/2007/epley). It was used as military training throughout time until the 19th century. Circus performers would use strongman feats as an act in their shows to draw in large crowds of people (strongmanvsbodybuilder.wordpress.com/.../the-circus-the-strong-man). Although strength and conditioning is an ancient practice, until recent years these practices were very primitive; guys tossing weights around to be strong but with no real structure to what they were doing. It was this lack of methodical approach to strength and conditioning that made it a taboo practice for traditional sports teams in America. Many coaches believed that lifting weights was detrimental to the performance of their athletes. These coaches thought that strength training made their players “muscle bound” and hindered their ability to move during play. It was not until 1969 when a University of Nebraska track athlete’s career was ended due to a back injury that the need for a profession in the strength and conditioning field was considered necessary (www.cscca.org/news/legendsaward/2007/epley).
Keep an eye out for the next installment of my blog.   We will be looking into who, what and where that unfortunately injured Nebraska athlete came from and what he did to revolutionize the world of college athletics with some heavy pieces of iron.




2 comments:

  1. I can honestly say that as an athlete I knew very little about strength and conditioning. In high school we would lift a couple days a week but our soccer coaches made it up, and it didn’t seem to have much logic behind the workouts. In college, even though I was a member of our University’s Women’s Soccer team, we had no sort of weight lifting program. It really was not until I came here to Tarleton State and got to know our strength coaches on staff, that I have come to truly appreciate what strength training can do for the athletes. As an athletic trainer, I want my athletes as strong as possible to prevent injuries, and our strength staff is extremely knowledgeable on training athletes for their sport. I find it shocking still that some coaches do not see the value in strength training. I look forward to following David’s blog and learning about how Nebraska’s track athlete revolutionized the world of college athletics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blog often and I truly appreciate your content. The
    article has truly peaked my interest. I will bookmark your site and keep checking for new details
    about once per week. I subscribed to your RSS feed too.



    Feel free to visit my website :: Muscle Max Xtreme and Ripped X Burn

    ReplyDelete