Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Motocross: Adapting the Sport for Paraplegics

Shane Shipley’s disabilities have not prevented him from living his dream of racing in the X Games.  Paralyzed from the waist down, Shane competes in the physically demanding sport of Motocross without the aid of major adaptations to his bike.  A cage-like structure was added to the bike to secure and protect his legs due to the fact that he can no longer use his legs to go around the turns like the other riders. 
 
Practicing for Motocross competitions gives Shane an emotional release as well as a physical break from his time in a wheelchair.  Competing against the other athletes seems to have restored Shane’s confidence that he can do anything.  Watching Shane reminds me that anything is possible for those that have the drive to succeed.  With the right modifications and support from friends and family, paraplegics can accomplish any goal.  As a future coach, I will be patient with my athletes as they strive to accomplish their goals on the field and in life.

4 comments:

  1. Paralyzed Motocross Rider Makes X-Games

    This video is a short news story about Shane Shipley, a paraplegic who actively participates and competes in motocross. As a future coach, this video is a reminder of how we can’t always take things at first glance. If I was to pass Shane Shipley on the street and was told he raced motocross, my first thought would be, “no way, no how.” Shane races a specialized bike that straps him in and holds his legs in place. Shane injured himself racing motocross, so I’m sure when he lost the ability to race, he was devastated. With his new bike and the adaptions made to it, he’s able to have a sense of normalcy that I’m sure he had missed. My take away from this video is that just because a person can’t participate in a sport in the, “normal,” sense, doesn’t mean that adaptions can’t be made so that they can still compete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen Seaback
    Paralyzed Motocross Rider Makes X-Games
    The video of Shane Shipley a paralyzed motocross rider made it to the X- Games despite no feeling in his legs. One thing that Shane said in the video that really stuck with me was his comment about how being paralyzed took away his independence but racing gave it back. Athletics can do that for any individual with disabilities because it proves that they can do something that many people think is impossible. The video inspired me because Shane was injured participating in motocross racing and decided not to get on another bike for almost 10 years. When he finally did get on one he excelled to greater things than he could ever imagine. Shane was able to ride again with modifications to the bike which included a rail that held his legs in place. As a high school coach if I ever have an athlete who becomes paralyzed from a participating in a sport I will not let them be afraid to continue to participate in that sport. Sports can grant endless happiness to individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victor Ibewuike
    Shane Shipley paralyzed motocross

    As a future physical therapist focusing on sports rehabilitation for athletes the video I viewed is in direct correlation with my central idea of “no excuses”. This will be my slogan for every athlete that walks through my gym or workout facility I intend on working at. Shane Shipley mentality is exactly what I want every athlete to have that I train. Becoming an x game athlete was his goal and he wouldn’t allow the excuse of being paralyzed to hinder that. In terms of adaption made for his activity; Shipley simply has a harness on both sides of his legs to keep him upright so he does not have any advantages over his fellow competitors. Shipley believes his independence was taken away from him and competing in extreme sports gives him the opportunity to grasp it back. I think it is very important and affective for every athlete to feel a sense of accomplishment when they achieve their goals. As a future instructor I hope to uplift and encourage all my athletes to strive for that.

    ReplyDelete