Sunday, October 25, 2015

The use of Visualization


Visualization is a widely used technique by athletes and weight lifters. The thought behind visualization is that if you can imagine yourself achieving your goal then you are more likely to achieve it in real life. “If want to increase the likelihood of reaching your goals and dreams, visualization is where it all begins. By having the ability to visualize your goals you do a few important things:
  • It teaches your brain to recognize what resources it will need to help you succeed in reaching your goals.
  • It creates an inner motivation to strive for your goals and dreams
  • It promotes positive thinking, which will help you to stay on track to be successful in the long run.”1.
Whenever I am working out I always imagine myself lifting the weights before I even touch the bar. For example if I am on the bench press and I am about to lift a heavy weight I will sit on the bench, close my eyes and imagine myself lifting the weight the desired amount of reps that I want to. This helps me get myself mentally prepared for the lift. “World Champion Golfer, Jack Nicklaus has said: “I never hit a shot, not even in practice, without having a very sharp in-focus picture of it in my head”. Even heavyweight champion, Muhammad Ali, used different mental practices to enhance his performance in the ring such as: “affirmation; visualization; mental rehearsal; self-confirmation; and perhaps the most powerful epigram of personal worth ever uttered: “I am the greatest””.2.
References

1.The Importance of Visualizing Your Goals

Published on on the website http://www.breathofoptimism.com/the-importance-of-visualizing-your-goals/ by Don Dulin in 2015
2.Seeing Is Believing: The Power of Visualization
Published on the website https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/flourish/200912/seeing-is-believing-the-power-visualization by Angie LeVan in 2009

3 comments:

  1. Visualizing my goal in my workouts is always something I have just done but it is very interesting to know that by doing that it will help my brain recognize the resources it will need to complete the task and ultimately help me reach my goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great concept that I think not a lot of people truly recognize as beneficial. If you can sit back and see yourself being successful in what you are putting your mind to then I don't believe that anything can stop you. Determination and perseverance are a killer combination, and what better way to combine the two by visualizing seeing yourself be THAT successful. It does make me curious to know what other professional athletes have use this technique throughout their successes in their careers. You mentioned two of them so it would be a great survey to conduct in addition to the blog if it was possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog posts consistently deliver valuable content. I always look forward to reading them! also Read Our Blog The Power of Visualization

    ReplyDelete