Thursday, October 29, 2015

The Importance of Recess in School




As a child growing up I remember always having recess everyday for at least a half hour all the way up through my fifth grade year of school.  I remember many days playing games and creating relationships with other children that has lasted to this day.  Now as an adult,  I am seeing many schools moving away from regular recess to allow more instructional time for other academics.  Schools may still provide recess to the children but it may be limited to a short time, only on certain days, or in general put second behind the needs of other academic subjects.   The trend of cutting recess may actually be more harmful to our children than helpful.  The American Heart Association created a survey done in 2010 found that the majority of states mandate physical education for our children but most do not require a specific amount and allow exemptions, waivers, and substitutions that diminish that time.1
image retrieved from blogspot.com


  An article from the American Academy of Pediatrics called “The Crucial Role of Recess in School” agrees that recess serves a necessary break from academic challenges that offers cognitive, social, emotional and physical benefits to children.2  Playing may not seem to help a student learn more about a single subject, however, it has the potential to promote cognitive understanding through interactive and manipulative experiences.2 In addition, it allows the children time to engage in peer interactions and learning skills such as communication, negotiation, cooperation, sharing, coping, self-control, and problem solving.2


All individuals, from parents to the lawmakers, want the best for our children and their futures.  Decisions that are made with good intentions may not always end up being the best decision.  With studies such as the above mentioned and others that are sure to come in the future, maybe the masses’ perception of recess may change from being only a physical activity to seeing that there are other aspects of a child’s development that can be greatly affected though regular recess.

To learn more, read my previous blog about the importance of exercise for our children visit http://tinyurl.com/owa5yej  


1National Association for Sport and Physical Education & American Heart Association.  (2010).  2010 Shape of the nation report: Status of Physical education in the USA. Reston, Va: National Association for Sport and Physical Education.  Retrieved from http://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@adv/documents/downloadable/ucm_308261.pdf


2The Crucial Role of Recess in School. (2012), Pediatrics January 01, 2013 Vol. 131 No. 1 pp.183-188. Retrieved from http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/131/1/183.full


2 comments:

  1. I cannot tell you how many times that recess was my absolute favorite part of my day when I was younger. It was the time where I got to play games with all my friends and be so active that I was practically pouring sweat by the time I came inside to cool down for nap time. Recess was such a beneficial part of my childhood that it would be a shame if they took that away from the younger generations today. I truly do believe that it has an impact on the way those children develop into active young adults later on in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recess should be a class in my opinion, haha. It was always the best part of the day for me, and I can remember playing football or basketball for the entire recess and never once think about how tired I was because I was out doors and playing with all my friends. Recess is a vital aspect of a young child's life and during growth.

    ReplyDelete