Friday, February 7, 2014

The Pressure of Athletic Recruitment


 
The Pressure of Athletic Recruitment

Over 420,000 student athletes compete in twenty-three NCAA sports at over 1,000 member institutions across the country (Hewitt, 2009). While not every one of these students will receive a full or partial scholarship, consider the number of students who do, and the value of those scholarships is high. Over 126,000 students receive either full or partial scholarships that have a total value of one billion dollars. With the monetary value of an athletic scholarship being high, it makes getting an athletic scholarship a high stakes game for student athletes.  Not only is there pressure on student athletes to get a scholarship, but there are also pressures on coaches to win, which can lead to aggressive recruitment of student athletes.

The recruitment process for athletes can be very stressful and even be intense for those who are 14-18 years of age.  With email, text messaging, and phone calls that can be made to prospective athletes, pressure for the athlete rises (Yen, 2011).  With the constant contact by coaches, many athletes feel the pressure to commit early, which can lead to excitement for some and sometimes the wrong fit for others. Although young athletes may have the physical appearance that coaches like, do these athletes really know what the right fit is for them at a young age when they are unprepared for the pressures they will likely face?

 

 

 

Hewitt, P. M. (2009). The Recruiting Process. College Student-Athletes: Challenges, Opportunities, and Policy Implications, 37.

 

Yen, A. C. (2011). Early scholarship offers and the NCAA. Boston College Law Review, 52(2), 585-616.

 


 

1 comment:

  1. I definitely can relate to this article. I started talking to a coach my senior year before I turned 18. He followed the rules about contacting me, but I still felt like I was always getting calls from him. I became injured in track season after I had already signed. At first the calls made me feel like he was genuinely interested in me. While I was injured, the calls from him made me feel guilty. I worried that he didn't want me to be on the team anymore and that he regretted giving me a scholarship. When I was back to running, I felt guilty for not running fast enough in my high school meets because of the injury when he was expecting me to have a better season than the previous year. As a result of the pressure to perform well, and having a bad season, I gave up my scholarship and took a year off of college track. I ended up going to a different university. The pressure high school athletes feel is real. I signed because I got a scholarship before I even knew what I really wanted.

    ReplyDelete