Thursday, September 11, 2014

Practice What You Preach?

As a graduate student in the Kinesiology department and Clinical Exercise Research Facility, teaching assistant for the Kinesiology department, and a graduate assistant coach for the cross country and track and field teams, I have many roles at Tarleton State University.  Every single one of these roles comes with the expectation that I am a role model and that I lead by example.  When I was hired to do these jobs I had tests to take and papers to sign stating that I understood what my expectations were as an employee and a representative of Tarleton State University.
One of the classes that I teach in Kinesiology is called Conditioning and Fitness.  In this class, undergraduate kinesiology majors are required to take multiple health-related fitness tests and are graded upon how they fair against the American College of Sports Medicine’s norm-referenced standards. According to the ACSM, “tests should yield results that are indicative of the current state of physical fitness, reflect positive changes in health status from participation in a physical activity or exercise intervention, and be directly comparable to normative data.”1 I am proud of the fact that at Tarleton we are investing in more than our students academic success. By requiring kinesiology majors to pass a physical fitness test before they can graduate helps the students to invest in themselves and apply what they are learning in our department.  
The definition of role model is defined as “a person whose behavior in a particular role is imitated by others.”2 How important is it for coaches, personal trainers, kinesiology instructors, etc., to practice what they preach, if at all?  Is there any credibility lost with a “do as I say and not as I do” approach?  I believe credibility is lost. I would not be convinced to hire a personal trainer at the gym if they did not look like they worked out themselves.  I am not suggesting that every kinesiology major be capable of competing at the Olympic games, but I do feel that there is a certain level of fitness that needs to be maintained.  I know that this can be a very gray area and is not as black and white as it seems. What are your thoughts on the issue?
1. Pescatello, L. (2014). Health-Related Physical Fitness Testing and Interpretation. In ACSM's guidelines for exercise testing and prescription (9th ed., p. 61). Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Health.
2. "Role Model." Merriam-Webster.com. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 11 Sept. 2014. <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/role model>


3 comments:

  1. It is really hard to follow someone wholeheartedly and buy into their program when they can barely demonstrate what I need to do. You had better be able to communicate perfectly if you are an out of shape coach, because not every player reacts to motivating speeches. Sometimes players need someone to bounce around, to set the standard of energy that they expect from you, and it is extremely difficult to do that when you are out of shape...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read! I absolutely agree! I think this also goes for public service officer as well (firefighters, police officers). For a trainer or coach giving fitness advice I find it extremely important and beneficial both for the coach and client to practice what you preach. If you look worst than I do why would i want to follow what you do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree as well, many of the coaches in our high school district were very very obese. I just don't see how someone who is supposed to motivate you and make you better can expect you to listen when they do nothing that they tell you to do.

    ReplyDelete