Thursday, October 3, 2013

Life of a New Personal Trainer: “I want to RUN FASTER.”


Most personal trainers find themselves focusing on the weight room the majority of day. While cardiovascular endurance training is extremely important, it is not uncommon for many trainers to put a client on a bike the last 10 minutes of the session and call it their “cardio”. This works for some clients; but what about the ones who come to a trainer wanting to run faster? Strength training is tremendously important for runners; but these clients NEED TO RUN! Here are five different training techniques that can be used for running.

*Tempo runs train the body to clear everything that could cause the body to feel like it needs to slow down. Have your client run at a “comfortably hard” pace, hitting each .5 mile or mile marker at the same time. This can be more easily done with a watch. Tempo runs must be precise to work.

*Fartlek runs make the body work hard when it is tired, which ultimately results in running faster when the legs are fresh. In fartlek runs, the client will run at 70-80% of their full effort for an amount of time and then will run 40-50% for that same amount of time.

*Mile repeats are tough runs with jogging or walking recoveries. Recovery should be at a 1:1.25-1.5 work-to-rest ratio. Repeats improve running time by continuously running at maximum aerobic capacity.

*In-and-Outs force runners to recover “on-the-go”. Have you heard the expression “sprint the straights and jog the curves”? That is exactly it.

*Fast-Finish Long Runs are exactly how they sound. These runs train the body to go long and finish hard. On a long run, which would probably be a little less monotonous off the track, have your client start picking up the pace after the first half. Their time should increase 5-10 seconds per mile after the halfway point.

Changing up your clients runs throughout the week will help to break up the boredom of running. It is also extremely important to schedule these runs, so you can easily track progress. These types of runs will boost your clients speed and endurance. 

*Follow the links of each technique to learn more.

4 comments:

  1. Brittney's blog on how to "Run Faster" will be very educational for the beginner runner. As I was training for my first half-marathon last spring, I did a lot of runs similar to these. The student coach for the cross-country team helped me organize my workouts. I would incorporate almost every single style of run that Brittney described. By switching up the style of run, it keeps the runs fun and interesting, especially for someone like me that struggles with running. Running is often intimidating for a beginner, but with the right motivation and personal trainer, it is possible for anyone. I look forward to following Brittney as she develops her style of personal training in order to help individuals get fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The various running work outs that Brittney has offered can be a tremendous aid to trainers who have clients in need of "cardio" work. It seems rampant that many trainers advise their clients to go out and jog for 20-30 minutes. There is not a better way to turn-off potential runners. Many can learn from this article and lay out a good schedule on how to include various workouts that can increase their clients “cardio” while keeping them motivated. Trainers utilizing this approach can create a well-rounded program that assists in all aspects of wellness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this article, not many people or clients are big on running but I always get excited when I come across one.
    I am just starting to train for a half marathon and originally had a plan where I just ran countless miles each week.
    However, after realization and research, I am incorporating tempo runs, repeats, and cross training days along with my miles. It is not only going to get me in better shape, but it will help with decreasing my mile times. This is great for any runner because it changes it up whether you are a beginner or a competitive runner. Plus, no change at all gets boring! This post is great because it spells it out for runner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I go to work out I do it all. I like to build my muscles up and have a good definition on my upper body. I usually run a couple of miles for my cardio. I would like to run faster but I don’t focus on that, but after these five different training techniques tips I will start to switch it up when I run. The two I will probably use the most are the Tempo runs, and the Fartlek runs. These two I think will help me out a lot because I like two run multiple laps around the track. The Tempo runs will help the most because I can run all the laps the same speed each time, and that it will build up my endurance.

    ReplyDelete