Friday, October 31, 2014

Why Breakfast Should Not Be Skipped

BREAKFAST2-2xoftxtmap541yyizuntog.jpgAmerica is a fast paced and busy country with an extremely large population. In the midst of a busy life, often times individuals  forget to eat breakfast. On average about 18 percent of males and 13 percent of females between the ages of 35 and 54 are guilty of skipping breakfast , according to a 2011 study by the market research company NPD group.1 Reasons for skipping include but are not limited to, lack of time, waking up late, or lack of appetite upon waking up in the mornings.However,,by skipping what most refer to as the most important meal of the day; individuals are doing more harm to their body.
Humans need energy to be able to function and perform daily activities throughout the work day. By eating a well-balanced nutritious breakfast that includes fiber, vitamin C, and vitamin D, will help increase energy levels. Also, including your daily protein into your breakfast will curb your appetite and encourage healthier choices throughout the rest of your day. Another very crucial benefit of not skipping the most important meal is the prevention of heart attacks and heart disease, as those who skip are at a greater risk.Skipping breakfast increases the risk of high cholesterol, obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes, which are all heart disease risk factors.2 It is important you keep your heart healthy by eating a healthy lean breakfast every morning! Eating breakfast regularly will also help with weight-loss management. When you are asleep your metabolism decreases so eating breakfast in the morning when  you wake up kick starts your metabolism. In one recent study, people who ate breakfast as their largest meal lost an average of 17.8 pounds over three months.1 When breakfast is skipped it is more likely you will overeat at lunch or dinner.

It is of utmost importance that you make time in the morning to eat a nutritious breakfast. There are numerous health benefits you receive from the nutrients consumed in the morning. Breakfast helps you focus throughout the day and gives you the energy you need to achieve daily life activities.

1Enos, D. (2013, September 12). 4 Reasons Why You Should Never Skip Breakfast. Retrieved October 26, 2014, from http://www.livescience.com/39598-reasons-never-skip-breakfast.html

2Yanjun. (2013, September 17). Breakfast Top six reasons you should not skip breakfast Learn more:Http://www.naturalnews.com/042084_skipping_breakfast_health_benefits_mental_focus.html#ixzz3HOi1HjEn. Retrieved October 26, 2014, from http://www.naturalnews.com/042084_skipping_breakfast_health_benefits_mental_focus.html

9 comments:

  1. I could not agree more. The body definitely needs a nutritious breakfast in the morning to start the day. After having slept the last 8 hours or so, it makes sense that the body needs breakfast. If I ever skip breakfast, I spend the entire morning with my stomach grumbling then more than likely over eat at lunch time or eat a less healthy meal to compensate. This is not good for the body and explains why breakfast can contribute to weight loss. However, some people that claim to eat breakfast may be eating donuts and soda rather than something nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point. The whole idea is to BREAK the FAST from sleeping 6-8 hours and get the body into an anabolic state once again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I know personally when I don't eat a good breakfast my day usually feels longer and I am more tired. However when I eat a good nutritious breakfast I am more likely to have a good day and get more done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article and I completely agree! Especially towards finals, I find it so sad that people go from studying for hours to a 6-8 hour fast and then studying more without getting any nutrients. I've never skipped breakfast for as long as I can remember and I don't plan on ending that habit anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not realize how important eating breakfast truly was. This article informed me a whole lot as to why it is important to always have breakfast. Now that I have read this I cannot agree more that breakfast is the mot important meal of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Yes! Yes! I completely agree with this article. When my friends tell me they "aren't really breakfast people" it makes me want to face palm them! Breakfast is such an important part of your day and everyone needs to understand that Thank you for this article!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never understood why so any people demanded on me eating breakfast, I'm just not a breakfast person. However I have noticed on days that I did eat breakfast I felt a lot better throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I myself rarely ever eat breakfast. I never really am hungry in the morning and just skip it. This article is very helpful and to show how eating breakfast is very important and skipping it can be harmful to your body. I will now try and eat breakfast more often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Theres not a day that passed by that my parents didnt tell me to eat breakfast. I know that eating breakfast prepares me and gives me the nutrients I am going to need for the day.

    ReplyDelete