Thursday, April 11, 2013

Golf 101 – Warm-Up Before you Tee Up

There are three easy but essential steps that will help you create a warm-up routine for the next time you decide to tee it up on the golf course. It is important to warm-up before you step up to the first tee box so that you are physically and mentally prepared to play your best on the course. It is important to stretch during the warm-up so that you can avoid potential injury.  Warm-up exercises also allow ample time for tweaking your swing.  Confidence can also be boosted by developing a consistent swing and follow through.  Here are three steps that should be included in a basic warm-up routine:

1 - Show up early --- Show up early enough so that you have plenty of time to get the feel for the putting green and also enough time to hit range balls. I would recommend getting to the golf course an hour prior to tee time.
2 - Putt first --- Each person is different, but personally I like to spend the majority of my time on the putting green.   As the old saying goes “Drive for show, putt for dough!” the putting green is where you can save strokes. So, start out on the putting green to get the feel for the greens.
3 - Hit the Range --- After the putting green, you should move over to the driving range.  Be sure to stretch prior to swinging the club.  When you are ready to hit, first begin with a sand wedge then slowly progress to the short irons followed by the long irons.   The last phase of the warm-up should be the woods and driver.  Each person is different about how many balls you need to hit. I recommend a small bucket of about 60 to 75 balls to get warm. Remember you are getting warmed up and not practicing.

Next time you hit the links don’t forget to include these three basic steps so that you are physically and mentally prepared to play your best!

3 comments:

  1. Reading your advice for warming up made was interesting since you recommend to first warm-up with your short game, which is also how I’m learning to play the game. I enjoyed reading this blog because I am currently learning to play golf. The advice I’ve gotten is to take a couple of lessons and then go to the driving range with a 9 iron first and master that club before I move onto the next iron. The warm-up is so important with any sport. When I competed in rodeo, it was so important that I took the time to warm up my horse. I would first start with long slow movements and then move onto something that increased the heart rate a little bit. I then manually stretched my equine athlete to make sure that he or she was fully prepared for the competition. Just like you, I had a routine that I used and recommended that was very specific for competition. I really enjoy reading about your blogs that talk about golf. It is a sport that is so hard to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice Katy. I normally and stretch out my back start hacking! I will try and but your techniques to good use. Also, I really enjoy reading your golf blogs, I hope they can help out my pitiful golf game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having a proper warm-up before golf is something I never or hardly ever do. Knowing that warming up for any sport or exercise is very beneficial makes me wonder why I don’t give myself adequate amount of time to warm up before golf. When I golf I almost do the rip it and grip it approach which usually makes my game inconsistent. “Drive for show, putt for dough” is one of my favorite sayings. It’s one of those saying my grandfather used to tell me all the time. But that doesn’t mean that I learned from that cause I can drive the ball way better than I can putt. Spending more time on putting will definitely help lose strokes in my golf game and practice and warming up will help my golf game out a lot.

    ReplyDelete