Monday, April 15, 2013

Altitude Training for Endurance Athletes


Elite endurance athletes are usually traveling the world – not only for races, but for training. These athletes want to maximize their training, so they spend some time (usually a few weeks to a month) training at high altitude. Altitude training is generally found in mountainous regions at elevations above 4,000 feet.  In the United States, the best athletes in the world train at altitude hot spots such as Mammoth Lakes, California, Flagstaff, Arizona, and Boulder, Colorado.   However, these altitude hot spots are also popular for college and high school cross country teams with summer training camps being held to improve running and endurance.

Exposure to altitude training has many physiological benefits that can improve VO2 max. Some of these benefits include a more efficient circulatory system, increase in the number of red blood cells, a more efficient nutrient exchange, and an increase in mitochondria. These are the type of physiological changes that runners and cyclist seek for improving their fitness levels and enhancing performance. Altitude training is very difficult for athletes not acclimated to the elevation. Breathing is more difficult and athletes will often fatigue more quickly. However, because of the boost of aerobic benefits, returning to lower elevation makes it easier to train and race.

If you are a serious runner or cyclist, consider spending some time at a high altitude location to improve your training and boost your performance to another level. 




2 comments:

  1. Quite often, fighters spend a lot of time training at high altitude as well. This helps them last more rounds and perform at a higher level later on into the fight. I experienced the acute side effects of altitude when I went on vacation to Denver, Colorado. The change in altitude made the air seem much thinner, making it harder to breath. Later, when I returned home after a couple weeks I felt like I was in much better shape then when I left. i was playing basketball for my high school team at the time and I felt like I performed better in the 2nd half then usual. However this quickly wore off and I was back to my original self. Its amazing how the body adapts especially to training. The human body will adapt to whatever you ask it to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I just realized how the effects of altitude training can also be in animals such as horses. When I was growing up I lived in New Mexico near the Colorado border where the altitude was much higher than other places in the state. I competed in barrel racing at rodeos and traveled around the state. My horse and I always did really well. I now realize that not only was my horse a great athlete but we constantly trained in a higher altitude. When we traveled to other places, he seemed like he was not even breathing hard after competing and barely broke a sweat! If I was a serious athlete, I would take every opportunity I had to train in higher altitudes.

    ReplyDelete